Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Flying Solo

This week, my mentor teacher is off on a fantastic vacation. He left instructions that I get to do whatever I want, which includes teaching all day. Yay! It's been challenging but a one-of-a-kind learning experience. The sub has been very accomodating and encouraging. Here's a conversation I had with one of my kiddos as I was leading the line to the computer lab.

AP: Mrs. T---, do you feel proud being the only teacher?
Me: What do you mean? Mrs. B-------- is still here with me.
AP: (smiles) Well, I mean. You get to tell us what to do.
Me: (smiles) Hmm...well, yes. I got to do it a lot in the first grade class I was with. It was a lot of fun. I like not being the sidekick all the time.
AP: (laughs) Me too!

I wondered how I have been looking this week. What does proud look like? If it means excited and interested in them, then, yes I feel proud. I am proud of all that they have done this week and how respectful they have been. They are definitely growing on me like fungus.

No comments: