Thursday, August 26, 2010

First Day

Today was my first day in first grade for the third time. I always think, "I should be used to the first day of school by now." I haven't reached that particular goal yet. I'm just as anxious and excited as the kids. The night before, I'm running list after list in my mind, making sure that I prepared everything for them. More than anything, I just want them to have a good first day. After all that anxiety and anticipation, I ended up having a lovely day with my co-teacher and our kiddos. Here are some highlights from my day.
  • At 10 am, a little one raises his hand, "Is it time to go home?" 
  • At  10:30 am, a little one says, "I'm soooo hungry! Is it lunch time yet?" 
  • When I share a photo of my kitty, the kiddos say, "Awwww," in perfect unison. 
  • My now-sixth-graders, now-third-graders, and now-first-graders stopped by for a visit and said hi to me with huge smiles. 
Making this dream happen has been an interesting journey. Sometimes, in the middle of the chaos of all the logistics, I wonder if I really can do it. Then, those little people walk through the door. They share the most creative ideas and say the funniest things. Then, everything is right in my heart, and I can't imagine being anywhere else.

No comments: