Thursday, July 9, 2009

I Know I'm a Californian

There are small moments when I'm a total Californian. They usually happen while I'm traveling. They creep up on me in the form of a craving for a taco or burrito. I remember on my first trip to France that I was shocked that they had Chinese restaurants but no Mexican restaurants. It also happens when I complain that anything above 75 degrees is too hot and any thing below 70 degrees is too cold.

I know that I'm a Californian used to living along the coast when I miss the sight of the ocean. When we're traveling through the valley or anywhere where the beach isn't easily accessible, I often turn to my hubster and say, "I can't imagine not looking at the ocean every day." It's a lovely reminder that there's more to life than my own little life and all its complications.


Give up to grace. The ocean takes care of each wave 'til it gets to shore. You need more help than you know. - Rumi (1207-1273)

No comments: