Saturday, October 4, 2008

It's Alright

Last week, we were downtown trying to make a quick run to Borders before we had to meet up friends for dinner. We stumbled across this pair of homeless men and their dog. One of the men asked us for any spare change. My hubster's policy is to not take out his wallet in front of homeless people to give them money. I've come to respect that decision for the sake of our general safety. To help him feel more comfortable, I usually try to take money out as we're approaching someone we want to help.

Unfortunately, I didn't take out the money in time. This time we told the man that we didn't have any spare change. His response? It's alright. He didn't say it in a malicious tone, just a-matter-of-fact-don't-worry-about-it tone. I really respected him for that. Normally, we run into homeless people who will ask for us money or yell something back at us if we say no. I genuinely appreciated him being kind to us even though we weren't able to help him.

No comments: