Friday, June 27, 2008

What Kind of Manuscripts?

After a rough week of school and getting all readjusted, I had a wonderful Friday with my hubster. We ventured into IV for lunch and ended up eating at IV Deli Mart. Super delicious! I had a savory falafel sandwich with extra spicy hummus and the works while my hubster had a chicken ciabatta sandwich. With a $1 Arizona tea added on, we only spent $10. The chicken for my hubster's sandwich came straight off the rotating spit, which made it super tender. The staff members were really nice even though we were total newbs.


Afterwards, we went downtown and stumbled across the Karpeles Manuscript Library Museum. It is the coolest free museum in town. There's all sorts of manuscripts. For example, they had drafts from the Constitution, pages of the Gutenberg Bible, Nixon's resignation letter, a letter written by Helen Keller, and Truman's declaration of war for WWII. There was even random stuff like a buggy request from the famous Siamese twins Chang and Eng and Egyptian sandstone carvings. There's even sheets of music from major composers like Verdi, Tchaikovsky, Mozart, etc. It totally reminded me of all the times I spent in music with my kiddos learning about composers. My favorites were a draft of Emily Dickinson's I Came to Buy a Smile and a page of Einstein's Theory of Relativity. I love Dickinson's handwriting. After hearing about Einstein's theory, it's really neat to see how he wrote it out. I would love to go back again.


No comments: