Thursday, June 26, 2008

What Does It Mean to Be a Friend?

http://www.davidgodden.com/blog/pooh-piglet%20(2).jpg

One of the first questions that my hubster asked me on Monday, which was my first day back at school, was, "Do you have any friends yet?" Then, I talked to Hovaleen and she asked me the exact same question. How funny is that? Their inquiries totally made me feel like I was in school again. Remember, when your mom would ask about your friends when you were in elementary school?

Yep, I definitely think I'll need some friends during the program just to help keep everything in perspective and to swap complaints with. As for having any friends, not yet. In my case, friends aren't that easy to come by. I'm pleasant but also shy. Of course, I have acquaintances who I can have small talk with.

For me to call someone my friend means that I feel totally comfortable around them. I don't have to worry about not sounding smart enough or being judged. I can just be me. Whenever I get a new friend, I always wonder what was the moment when I finally felt that way. I can't always pinpoint that moment, but I'm so happy that it came by. I shall leave off with a quotation from Eleanor Roosevelt, a fountain of wonderful quotations.

"Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart."

No comments: