Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Authentically Me

http://img1.etsystatic.com/il_fullxfull.247803089.jpg
{source}




Dear Universe, 

Thank you for teaching me the beauty of being me. We must both admit that it wasn't pretty getting here. As you well know, I'm a rather stubborn perfectionist. Of course, I had a well-developed concept of who I wanted to be and how I wanted others to see me. 

Along the way, I learned that being vulnerable in front of others takes incredible strength. Weakness is not synonymous with vulnerability. What was I thinking before? When I lay my heart out there for all to see, I have been graced with so many blessings. My hubster may laugh up a storm in the most charming way. My kiddos tend to echo, "Me too!" The random conversations with my co-workers flow with more ease. My friendships are strengthened by our shared quirks. 

Who am I? What is in my heart? I am person who undoubtedly sees beauty in everything. I stop and stare at trees and clouds. I have to carry a camera around with me because the compulsion to save this beauty overwhelms me throughout the day. My heart feels emotions to such depth and intensity that I have to often remind myself that they are just emotions. I find comfort in words, songs and delicious food. They are the trinity that keeps me balanced and feeling well. I'm learning to love exercise, but it's a slow process. I must remember to be patient with myself. I must also remember to be kind to myself.

*One of my dearest friends has been blogging up a storm lately. She's in the middle of her quarter-life comeback. One of the topics that she's been writing about is authenticity, which has inspired this post. 

No comments: