Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Nice to Meet You


When I was growing up, I didn't know much of my extended family. My parents came from a tiny island in the Pacific called Guam. According to Wikpedia, it's about 209 sq miles and the 2009 census reported a population of 178,000. Totally teeny, right? I have yet to visit this teeny island. Most of my dad's family lives there.

My dad used to tell stories about his five other siblings, my four uncles and one aunt. Their faces were images that my imagination filled in as he would say their names. I would see a few faded photos ever so often. I never knew what they sounded like or knew what their mannerisms were like. I met my aunt when I was a wee one and later on when I was teenager. The uncles were still people that I wondered about. Soon, I stopped wondering and accepted the fact that I probably wouldn't meet them.

Then, my dad's baby brother, Mark came to visit. He landed a few weeks ago. My parents brought him up to our quaint town for a visit this past weekend. I was so excited and nervous to meet him. I don't do well meeting family for the first time. I'm always worried if I will genuinely like them or feel obligated to like them. I loved him! He's just like my dad, down to the way they rub their faces with their hands. I loved hearing stories about my cousins. He was so proud of me even though he had never met me before. I'm so glad that my uncle came. 

More than ever, my hubster and I are itching to visit my family in Guam. My parents will never understand why I need to know where I came from. They tell me that I'm American. Yes, that's what I check for my citizenship. When I look in the mirror, I know I'm something else. I'm the decedent of a rich islander heritage. That's why my skin is the color that it is and that's why I love the ocean as much as I do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I look in the mirror, I know I'm something else. I'm the decedent of a rich islander heritage. That's why my skin is the color that it is and that's why I love the ocean as much as I do.

Beautifully written. I'm an island girl, as well. :)