Monday, September 6, 2010

Naturally, My Dear Hubster



I've been learning a lot about myself lately. Finally, I'm taking the time to put together the puzzle pieces of my habits, hobbies, and preferences. As I put them together, I find each discovery fascinating and new. Of course, I'm excited to share them with my hubster. He's not surprised by my discoveries at all! Apparently, he figured me out a long time ago. In his eyes, I'm totally lagging. 

Well, one of my new realizations is that I only like doing things that come to me naturally. Luckily, I've been a natural at a lot of things that mattered. For instance, I've always been a pretty good student. Yes, I worked hard, but I never really struggled. Cooking also falls under this category. I prefer rummaging through the fridge and making my own recipe than following someone else's recipe. 

I love photography, but I have yet to really figure out how to use my SLR properly. I don't play with the aperture settings or any of that fancy jazz. Basically, I use it as a fancy Nancy point and shoot. I also don't take the time to process my photos in Photoshop, because I haven't made the effort to figure that out either. 

Relying solely on my natural abilities is finally catching up with me. I'm having to learn what it really means to have to pick myself up after unsuccessful attempts. A lesson definitely worth learning. Learning to be patient with myself has become one of the best gifts from these growing pains. Here's a conversation that my hubster and I had about all of these lovely realizations. 

Me: So, I figured out that I only like to do things that I'm naturally good at. 
Hubster: (sighs) I know. 
Me: (smiles)
Hubster: What's the fun in that?
Me: Seriously? Ummm...you never fail. You're successful at everything that you do. 
Hubster: But, what about having someone teach you something? Then, you figure out how to do it.  That feeling of figuring it out on your own.
Me: That means I would probably fail before I figured it out.
Hubster: (sighs in defeat) 

No comments: