Friday, July 23, 2010

Make Some Time


A few weeks ago, I finished A Wrinkle in Time. A long long time ago, a few friends told me it was the worse book that they ever tried reading as kids. I had been avoiding it for that reason. Then, I sat with some fifth graders last year during their reading group time. They were required to read it. The bits I heard were really interesting. My sentiments towards it? It's one of the most beautiful children books that I've read. I can see how as a kid it my bore you to death with all the philosophical quotations. As an adult, I've read a bit from many of those who L'Engle quotes in the story, so it's not as daunting. Here's one of my favorite excerpts:

Aunt Beast is a creature that has no eyes. She lives on a planet with other blind creatures.

'We do not know what things look like, as you say," the beast said. "We know what things are like. It must be a very limiting thing, this seeing."

No comments: