Wednesday, June 2, 2010

"Work is For People Who Can't Play Video Games."


I'm still on my documentary binge. Today's feature was The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters. Honestly, I thought it was going to be a little too geeky for me as I watched the first few minutes of it. Then, Steve Wiebe pops up and explains why he is on the quest to master Donkey Kong. All of a sudden, I find myself cheering for Steve, which is quite easy considering how Gordon has portrayed Billy Mitchell. Billy Mitchell is the classic villain in this movie, from his looming demeanor down to the suspiciously long hair and beard.
The control that Billy has over Brian Kuh and Steve Sanders is just creepy. Poor Steve is trying to break into the geek clique run by Walter Day. Steve doesn't seem to be geek enough. Steve Wiebe's quest is more than just to have the top score of a video game. For that reason, it's worth watching this documentary. I loved it!

No comments: