Thursday, April 29, 2010

Honest Abe Meets Booth


I'm a huge fan of children's books. A large lot of my book collection is made of picture books and young adult novels. Many were collected when I was a wee one. I'm rapidly collecting more as an adult. The most recent YA book that I finished is called Chasing Lincoln's Killer. When I first plucked it off of the library shelf, I thought it was fiction. The author explains in the preface the authenticity of the text down to direct quotations. It turns out that it's a historical non-fiction novel. The first one that I have ever read.

Overall, I was really impressed with the layout and pace of the novel. In the beginning, he provides lots of photos of the characters of this fascinating tale. In addition, other prints from the celebration of the end of the Civil War are also included. I thought all of these photos were so helpful to really get the kiddos to envision what the time period was like. It's even hard for me even after many history classes and hours of watching the History Channel. The pace of the novel is really engaging since its the play by play of one of the most famous manhunts in U.S. history. I highly recommend it!

No comments: