Sunday, March 21, 2010

For Georgia

Some of my favorite times spent in art class as a wee one was trying to mimic one of Georgia O'Keeffe's paintings. I still remember my art teacher telling me, "Look at how she uses the space. See how much of it is filled with the flower. What parts of the flower do you see?" I used to try so hard, but I just couldn't get my picture to look like the one in my imagination. Frustration would ensue until I took my painting home, and my mom would say it was gorgeous. Don't all moms say that?

As an adult, I have put away the watercolors and now use my camera to mimic Georgia. Thank God it somewhat works. I'm gradually developing a love affair with flowers, especially ranunculus. They're now my second favorite kind of flower. I love bringing the home shut tight. Then, waking up the next morning to a partial bloom. Then, finally there is a full bloom. So beautiful. So enchanting.


No comments: