Thursday, December 3, 2009

Sunflowers

My favorite flowers are sunflowers. I have so many fond memories of them. When my grandpa found out that they were my favorite, he grew them in our backyard for me. My hubster thought about growing them for me, but my parents said that they're a pain to pull out. (I hope he's still considering it.) When I'm feeling down and out, my hubster brightens my day with sunflowers. The following poem about these beautiful flowers is by Eugenio Montale.

Bring me the sunflower, let me plant it
in my field parched by the salt sea wind,
and let it show the blue reflecting sky
the yearning of its yellow face all day.

Dark things tend to brightness, bodies
fade out in a flood of colors,
colors in music. So disappearing is
the destiny of destinies.

Bring me the plant that leads the way
to where blond transparencies
rise, and life as essence turns to haze;
bring me the sunflower crazed with light.


No comments: