Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Doing Better

I thought it was only fair to do this post since I already made this post. Post-grad school re-entrance into the real world has been everything but what I expected it to be. Rather than having my own brood of booger eaters to teach, I'm one of the many under appreciated traveling teachers known as substitute teachers. I fought being a sub for about two months, calling it not-even-being-really-employed (I work at least two to three days a week), waking up beyond stressed out two hours before I really needed to wake up, and feeling defeated at the end of the day because I didn't get everything done that was listed in the sub plans.

Flash forward to now, I've learned to: expect the unexpected; I can still teach with an open heart; and I am appreciated. There are so many great things about not having my own classroom just yet. No report cards to write. No parent conferences to prepare for. No papers to grade.

I also get to shop around for my favorite grade level. Yesterday was a big day because it meant that I have taught at least one class in each grade level. The verdict so far is that first and fifth are still my two favorite grades. I could not be a kinder teacher because I'm totally incapable of singing songs on key. I also don't think I want to be a third grade teacher anymore.

With all of this said, a friend asked me the other day if I could see myself subbing for another year. The butterflies started all over again. My response? Honestly, I've just learned how to deal with it and accept it, but I think it's only enough acceptance to cope with this year. I'm still hoping for my own classroom.

Thanks to my hubster for waiting for this moment. I couldn't have gotten here without you!


1 comment:

hovaleen said...

ahh :) im so glad for you. you made it out much faster than me <3 i knew you would!