Thursday, September 24, 2009

Cursive v. Print

My hubster mentioned to me a similar article to this one earlier this week. He also asked if I ever write in cursive anymore. The answer? Nope. Not when I teach. Not when I write every day. I use architecture-all-caps print. Occasionally, I'll use it when writing a card or writing a disagreeable comment in a comment section. My own mom didn't even recognize my cursive writing once. I'm happy that my hubster still writes in cursive.

Cursive writing may be fading skill, but so what?

This Sept. 16, 2009 photo shows a student practicing both printing and cursive AP – This Sept. 16, 2009 photo shows a student practicing both printing and cursive handwriting skills in …

CHARLESTON, W.Va. – Charleston resident Kelli Davis was in for a surprise when her daughter brought home some routine paperwork at the start of school this fall. Davis signed the form and then handed it to her daughter for the eighth-grader's signature.

"I just assumed she knew how to do it, but I have a piece of paper with her signature on it and it looks like a little kid's signature," Davis said.

Her daughter was apologetic, but explained that she hadn't been required to make the graceful loops and joined letters of cursive writing in years. That prompted a call to the school and another surprise.

West Virginia's largest school system teaches cursive, but only in the 3rd grade. next>>

No comments: