Monday, June 1, 2009

Magic is Everywhere

I had to write my end-of-the-year reflection, describing how I have grown over this year. Of course, I put what they wanted to hear. I really wished I could write how I have learned how to appreciate the magic in the smallest moments of my day with my kiddos. Here's the best moment ever with my big kids.

With it being the end of the school year, we're just finding activities to pass the time. I had a few writing projects that I wanted to try out. One is a random autobiography, which is a poem that lists random things about a person's life. I told them what a risk it is to share yourself with an audience and to be honest on top of that. Then, I shared a brief version of my random autobiography with them:

Bye, Bye from Mrs. T---

I am just me.

I cannot say that I have always tried to be me. When I was little I would pretend I was a veterinarian, news reporter, and a horseback rider,

I have ridden a horse through rusty red canyons.

One place that I still want to visit is the Grand Canyon, so I may see columns of stone and the Colorado River that runs through it.

I have seen the columns that Roman hands have built, but I have not seen the columns built by the Greeks.

Some of my favorite stories in college were by great Greeks named Sophocles and Aristophanes.

For college, I went to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo with the boy who would become my husband.

My husband has made me promise that I will not teach our future children how to just eat the center of the Oreos and stick the two cookie pieces back together and place them back into the cookie jar.

I remember how my mom used to place the cookie jar on top of the refrigerator, just out of reach for my little hands.

I have used my hands to plant tomato plant seedlings that we will hopefully harvest at the end of this summer.

I am ready for summer to begin. How about you?


After I finished reading it aloud, my kiddos applauded for me. They are the most compassionate set of big kids that I have ever met. It wasn't important that they applauded me. It was important to me that they enjoyed a piece of writing that I wrote and still embraced me afterwards as being part of their community. Now, I know for sure that I never want to give up teaching.

No comments: