Sunday, May 24, 2009

Blueberries by the Handful

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3242/3032387043_cb00692552.jpg
from Blueberries for Sal

We've spent the day eating blueberries by the handful and it's been amazing. I've never been able to do that before. Yesterday, we went blueberry picking. It was so much fun. We got our own mini tin pail and got to search for little blue gems. The trick is looking at the bottom of the bush where some of the ripest ones hide. Initially, we didn't think we would be able to fill even half our bucket but we did! My hubster wanted to keep picking. I had to remind him that a whole bucket would cost $15, which is still a bargain. I love these little bits of country life. Here's my favorite part of the day:

Hubster: (picks up cell phone) Hey.
His Mom: What are you doing?
Hubster: Picking blueberries. We can get a bucket for $15.
His Mom: I can get 4lbs for $8.
Hubster: Blueberries?
His Mom: Blueberries? Oh, I thought you said strawberries. Haha. Did you try them? Are you sure they're good?
Hubster: Yes, we tried them.

We totally did take a sample before we got all into the picking process. Yes, we're that Asian. Overall, I had to say it was one of my favorite experiences. I've always wanted to go to blueberry picking since I read Blueberries for Sal as a little one.

No comments: