Friday, March 27, 2009

On the Menu for School Today - Rebecca Kai Dotlich

Honestly, I've been going through a bit of a crisis of whether or not I still want to be a teacher. Maybe, it was the horrendous paper that I had to write to prove that I could teach. Maybe, it's the budget crisis that leads me to think that I might not get a job at the end of grad school. Maybe, it's the disinterested looks that my big kiddos give me even though they're actually listening. Then, I stumbled across this poem. It was like medicine for my heart.

On the Menu for School Today

Label planets
in our sky.
Learn how numbers
multiply.
Count coins.
String beads.
Shake bells.
Plant seeds.
Map constellations
dot
to
dot...
Decorate
a flowerpot.
Say a poem.
Spell b-u-t-t-e-r-f-l-y.
Shout hello.
Wave good-bye.

Rebecca Kai Dotlich
from Falling Down the Page

No comments: