Saturday, November 8, 2008

Catch Up: Dia de los Muertos

For part of my birthday celebration, we went down to the local art museum to their big Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) festival. I'm becoming more interested in this cultural tradition because I would love to incorporate this tradition into my teaching. It would be important to add this to my October plans since many of my students will probably come from a Hispanic background. I also love the idea of remembering those who have passed away. I'm still a little unsure because the skull imagery still hasn't completely won me over. I'm almost there though.

Picados lined the stairway up to the museum.

An altar decorated by local students to celebrate their ancestors.

Close-up of alter with skulls made by local students.

A newspaper with a calevara.

No comments: