Sunday, July 13, 2008

"Country of the Blind" - H. G. Wells


Well, my pre-homework for my Culture, Language, and Learning class was to read H.G. Wells' "Country of the Blind." I know that H.G. Wells is mostly known for War of the Worlds and the Invisible Man. However, this short story was beautifully written and very compelling. It's about a valley of inhabitants who bear blind children. Soon enough, all the inhabitants are blind and they have moved beyond the myths associated with sight.

Then, a man with a sight falls into their midst. He has heard legends about this valley and these people. Because he has sight, he assumes that they will treat him like a god or king. What happens with him and the inhabitants is something I didn't think would happen. I loved the themes of softness vs. roughness and light vs. dark. I know the light vs. dark seems quite obvious, but the descriptions of light are gorgeous. I might even check out Invisible Man now.

No comments: