Monday, June 9, 2008

I Want to Be Like...


from flickr

Have you ever seen someone do something and yearn to be just like them? Well, I've always wanted to be a writer, which is exactly why I became an English major in college. I finally developed my own writing voice after many endless nights revising expository essays. I'm not doing much with it now, but that's okay too. Sometimes, I'll read something, a book or an article, and think I want to write just like that! Recently, I read this article from GQ and fell in love with Adam Sachs' wit, perspective, and sincerity. Here's part of the beginning of his article:

We are in the basement of the building we moved into six years ago. The ad in the paper compared the tiny space in a wobbly old carriage house in the West Village to a "Parisian tree house" (whatever the hell that meant), and we liked the sound of it and rushed in to buy it, though we weren't even engaged. Behind a heavy gate, at the back of a green courtyard shaded by a lucky Japanese maple, our home lay outside the grasp of the world. Inside we chirped and whistled to each other in some made-up bird language that said nothing could ever go wrong. We baked salmon in puff pastry. We drank old Armagnac and laughed our asses off. We were warmly affectionate in that discreet but evident way that made other couples quarrel when they left our dinner parties. more>>>

No comments: