Thursday, April 3, 2008

He's Preggers?

I just spent a good chunk of my afternoon watching the pregnant man episode of Oprah via Red Lasso. The feed from Red Lasso kept crapping out on me, so I'm assuming a lot of people are watching it too. During the episode, Thomas was really endearing for someone who just had his life picked a part by Oprah in front of everyone. Of course, they made the choice to have this baby and they made the choice to publicize their pregnancy, but it was amazing to see him take all the questions in good stride and good sense of humor.

During the interview he made a valid point about the desire to have children, he said that he didn't think that wanting a child was a female or male desire. It's a human desire and he's human like everyone else. I don't have any major objections to him being a pregnant man except for one. What is it going to be like for his child growing up? It's one thing to have a two-mommy or two-daddy home, but how is she going to respond when she sees the pictures of her dad being pregnant. What about all the backlash from narrow-minded people? Should they have put more thought into this whole unique process?

My favorite part of the whole episode? When the neighbor is asked about his response, he says, "It seemed sexually dyslexic and hard for me to figure out at first."

No comments: