Monday, March 10, 2008

Movie Weekend

http://www.cinematical.com/media/2007/10/mc_1shtfinal.jpg

I got first pick of movies this weekend, so the first movie we watched was Martian Child. I had been looking forward to watching it since I saw the preview right before watching Meet the Robinsons over the summer. It just struck me as a really endearing story. Overall, I thought the movie was sweet. It wasn't nearly as good as Dear Frankie or Little Man Tate, which also deals with unique family situations. The ending was a bit over dramatic. I would have preferred if they ended it during the montage of Dennis being weird yet happy. One of my favorite parts:

Harlee: He's great, like a little Andy Warhol.
David: He has the same social skills, by the way.
Harlee: You know what I think it is?
David: What?
Harlee: He's an old soul.
David: What does that mean?
[pause]
David: Seriously.
Harlee: It just means he's figured it out.

On Sunday, we watched Freedom Writers. My hubster's friend Carlos recommended it. I was really apprehensive to watch it because my math teachers in high school always showed us Stand and Deliver as our movie treat. Blah! I had also seen Dangerous Minds when that first came out.

The image “http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/73/FWPoster.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

What can I say about Freedom Writers? It's a typical naive-teacher-gets-tough-saves-inner-city-kids movie. I didn't think there was anything unique about it. Yes, I cared about some of the characters and wanted them to achieve something. How can you not care about the underdog in a movie though? I guess it was okay.

No comments: