Saturday, January 19, 2008

Nothing

http://www.gbtc.com/wilbur.jpg

I'm re-reading Charlotte's Web for the umpteenth time for this project that I'm working on. I just came across this HILARIOUS section and had to share it.

Set up: Wilbur is terribly lonely. He wants someone to play with, so he tries asking this lamb.

"Will you please play with me?" [Wilbur] asked.
"Certainly not, " said the lamb. "In the first place, I cannot get into your pen, as I am not old enough to jump over the fence. In the second place, I am not interested in pigs. Pigs mean less than nothing to me."
"What do you mean, less than nothing?" replied Wilbur. "I don't think there is any such thing as less than nothing. Nothing is absolutely the limit of nothingness. It's the lowest you can go. It's the end of the line. How can something be less than nothing? If there were something that was less than nothing, then nothing would not be nothing, it would be something--even though it's just a very little bit of something. But if nothing is nothing, then nothing has nothing that is less than it is."
"Oh, be quiet!" said the lamb. "Go play by yourself! I don't play with pigs."

That's pretty good for a little pig, right? You don't even know how many times I have heard such a discussion. Normally, it's my hubster challenging the concreteness of a concept then someone else (with less savvy) becoming increasingly frustrated who responds with a lame response.

No comments: