Monday, January 21, 2008

Happy MLK Jr. Day!

http://z.about.com/d/afroamhistory/1/7/g/2/martinlutherking.jpg

Happy MLK Jr. Day! Like any good elementary class, my kiddos have learned all about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Whenever someone at school says Martin Luther King Jr, they quickly remind that person that it's Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, which I find absolutely adorable. It takes time to earn a PhD and I'm happy that they give him the respect he deserves.

I must admit that over the years I have become a little disenchanted with MLK Jr day; however, watching the kiddos experience Martin Luther King Jr and his dream has been a great eye opener for me. MLK Jr was an amazing individual who more than deserves a day dedicated to his honor. He reminds us the importance of equality. More importantly, he reminds us of the importance of our dreams. I would like to leave off with two of my favorite dreams that the kiddos shared:

Miss. IS: I have a dream that everyone even homeless people will have love and respect.
Mr. AB: I have a dream that the Iraq war would end.

No comments: